How to cast our models
Here are a few tips that should come in handy when you try to cast our models:
1. We recommend using the following platinum-cured silicones with 3D-printed parts:
- DWR Plastics
- Polycraft silskin 10
- Smooth-on ecoflex 00-30
- Platsil-gel 0020
2. Dishwashing liquid (10g) mixed with water (100g) works very well as a release agent for silicone and 3D-printed parts.
3. Silicone hardness can be modified with silicone softeners and silicone oil.
4. If silicone is too thick/cures too quickly, it can be injected into the tool using an empty cartridge and a caulking gun.
5. If silicone seeps through the 3D-printed tool during casting, you can use plasticine (newplast) or hot-melt glue to seal it.
6. Use relevant personal protective equipment (gloves, eye protection), especially during silicone casting and tool opening. Follow your material’s label instructions/data sheets.
7. Do not use latex gloves when casting silicone. Even small amounts of latex can inhibit the curing process.
8. Vacuum chambers (pots) and pumps can be used to remove the air bubbles from the silicone.
9. Oil paints can be used instead of silicone pigments